Monday, March 28, 2011

Gateway to the Big Picture

At least half of my clients have a goal of "shaping up" or losing weight or of just simply improving their health and fitness.  No wonder, when it is March, still snowy and we are all longing to get into our shorts and bathing suits... and look good!  I have the same goal, too!
What's really cool about this goal, though, is how it can become what I call one of the gateways to the Big Picture, or the Big A Agenda.  If you have been coaching with me for awhile, you know that coaching is not about simply setting goals and checking them off the list once they have been accomplished.  Coaching is about the Big Picture, about what it takes for each of us individually to live a fulfilling life; what you aspire to and how to get closer to that today; how you get stuck on the path to getting there and how to move through that place; how to keep your life in balance; and how to fully appreciate wherever you are in the process.  And anything can serve as a gateway.  Losing ten pounds.  Getting a new job.  Having a better relationship with your spouse.
Is this too confusing?  Maybe.  What I mean is simply this:  Let's say you want to lose ten pounds.  But what else will you learn along the way?  If you pay attention, you will undoubtedly also learn something about yourself and your behaviour patterns.  For example, I can easily tell myself that eating one dessert won't make that much difference... and then wonder why I'm not losing weight fast enough.  The question, though, is this:  does that way of thinking (not working at it seriously; choosing short term pleasure over long term gain) show up in other areas of my life?  And yes, it probably does.  If I change my behaviour around this small goal (losing ten pounds) will that new way of being show up in other areas of my life?  Oh, so interesting.
  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment